“Many people, myself among them, feel better at the mere sight of a book.” ~Jane Smiley
Who am I?
Hi, everyone! My name is Mary, and I am a writer, copyeditor and literary blogger.
I graduated from the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign with a degree in creative writing and English literature (because I thought one writing-based major wasn’t enough). I recently finished my masters in publishing from the George Washington University (as of July 25, 2015!).
Why “Literary Distractions?”
This blog started out as a class assignment, but I didn’t want to leave a semester-long assignment as my mark on the Internet. I wanted to have an outlet to maintain, whether it was about books and literature or something (somewhat) related that has distracted my attention.
So this is my conversation with literature, writing, books and life.
Please feel free to join the conversation because what’s a conversation if only one person is talking? It’s important to me that readers feel compelled to discuss their opinions, ask questions, challenge uncertainties, and share happy thoughts.
What else do I do?
Shortly after graduating in 2011, a frequent classmate and friend of mine, Katya Cummins, founded an online literary magazine Niche, which was created to be an inclusive online literary magazine where all genres of writing coexist together. I was fortunate enough to join the experience, and I am a contributing editor and the social media marketer for Niche magazine.
I also freelance proofreading and editing services, needlepoint, and frequently purge and organize. If you need assistance or advice on any of those, please feel free to contact me.
Fun Facts Every Day
Everyone likes knowing a little more about their author so here are 10 things you should know about me:
- I have curly hair, which I feel defines my personality (it’s a curly girl thing).
- Just to followup on hair: I’ve never colored my hair. As if having curly hair wasn’t a challenging enough (don’t get me wrong, I love my curls, but it is work), coloring my hair would only damage it.
- I’m obsessed with penguins — Don’t believe me? I’m currently wearing penguin socks.
- My bookcase is a mess and I always think I can organize it… to no avail.
- Joyce Carol Oates is my author idol. So much so, I have another blog devoted to her.
- I’m generally not a fan of making lists, but lists are so consumable.
- My “day job” is being a copyeditor at an association.
- I really enjoy web design and hope to do more. (Who knew HTML and CSS were so fun?)
- I completed my masters degree online, which was not only convenient but still provided a challenging and rewarding education.
- Exclamation points, ampersands and ellipses are not my favorite punctuation symbols, especially when they’re used incorrectly or used frequently.
If you’d like to reach out and contact me for any reason, please email me at literarydistractions[at]gmail[dot]com.